Office of the Treasurer
Look below for rate & due date information for various taxes & fees charged in the City of Buena Vista:
Real Property (Real-Estate) Tax
Taxes on real property located within the City are set at $1.07 per $100 of assessed value. All real property within City is assessed every two-years by an independent assessor and taxes are billed in two equal portions. The first tax portion is due by December 5, with the second portion due by June 5, of each year. Interest and/or penalties will be assessed to those taxes not paid by either deadline.
Personal Property Tax
• The Personal Property Tax Rate on tangible personal property (vehicles, mobile home trailers, campers, boats, etc.) is set at $5.85 per $100 of assessed value.
• Taxes are due twice yearly, on June 5 and December 5. Failure to pay taxes by either deadline will cause interest and/or penalties to be assessed.
• Failure to file a personal property return between January 1 – March 1 will result in a 10% late-filing penalty.
• Contractors, barbers, cosmetologist, real estate agents, auctioneers etc. must be registered through the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Licenses. The web address is: www.state.va.us/dpor or you may call 804-367-8500 for more information.
Machinery & Tools Tax
• Taxes on machinery and tools located within the City are set at $4.25 per $100 of assessed value. The assessment is 20% of the first ten years capitalized cost; 15% for the next ten years, and 10% for ten years after. A rate of 1% will be assessed for tools/machinery not in use for 1-year.
• Filing of this information is due by March 1, and taxes are due semi-annually in two equal installments. The first payment is due by June 5, and the second is due by December 5, each year. Interest and/or penalties will be added if taxes are not paid on time. Failure to file a machinery and tools rendition between January 1, and March 1, will result in a 10% late-filing penalty.
Dog tags are due by January 31st and must be renewed each year. Current rates for dog tags are as follows:
Neutered Males $4.00 / each
Neutered Females $4.00 / each
All other dogs $8.00 / each
Water / Sewer / Garbage Rates
Click here to see water, sewer, & garbage rates