February 22nd, 2017

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Paxton House

Glen Maury Park

 

 

 

The Paxton House, as we know it at Glen Maury Park, is designated as one of Virginia’s Historic Landmarks. Built between 1830 and 1835, the Paxton House was built by Elisha Franklin Paxton.

 

The interior of the Paxton House contains a set of outstanding provincial neo-classical style mantels in the heavy style of the valley (sometimes described as Adamesque or Adam Style). The original house was built from brick made on the farm. As was the custom, the walls were laid three bricks thick, providing both structural strength and insulation.

 

 Each of the original rooms had a fireplace, the only means of heating the building and even the upstairs bedrooms feature ornate but exquisitely proportional hand carved mantels. The front door opening onto the white columned porch is framed by a fanlight of thirteen panes with side lights on either side of the door.    

 

In 1968, the City of Buena Vista purchased the old Paxton Place (which had recently been renamed Glen Maury a Scotch name meaning Valley of the Maury River) as a site for reservoir to be constructed later.  

 

In 1995 two Buena Vista women became concerned that the Paxton House was beginning to show signs of deterioration. Recognizing that nothing was being done to preserve the house, they began a quest to organize enlisting some interested citizens and in May of 1997 formerly created the Paxton House Historical Society Inc. The society is composed of a Board of Directors and a Board of Trustees, all who volunteer their time. An active fundraising campaign by the Directors has provided the major financing for Glen Maury.

 

The City and the Society look on the past of Glen Maury Park and the Paxton House with pride and admiration for our heritage and look forward to the future with great anticipation.

 

 

Donations can be mailed to the municipal building at:

 

The Paxton House Historical Committee

c/o Department of Community Development

2039 Sycamore Avenue

Buena Vista, Virginia 24416

 

Please make checks payable to The Paxton House Historical Committee